Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer
|Work Type:||Fixed term - full time|
|Job Function:||Community Services|
|Work Location:||North West - Swan Hill|
|Salary Range:||$63,629 - $70,445|
|Job Duration:||Contract End 26.01.2018|
|Attachments:||C0874_20161215.docx (Word, 431KB)|
C0874_20161215.docx (Word, 431KB)
|Contact:||Inspector Dan Davison|
- VPS-3.1– Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer $63,629 - $70,445 plus superannuation and leave loading
- One Full time, fixed term opportunity available (Contract End - 26.01.2018)
- Special measures’ of section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply.
- The usual place of work will be Swan Hill Police Station, 507 Campbell Street, Swan Hill. However you may also be required to work at other locations within the Swan Hill PSA.
About the role:
As the successful applicant your accountabilities will consist of the below:
· In partnership with Indigenous groups, develop and maintain knowledge of Indigenous issues within the local area and maintain a contemporary knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
· Contribute to establishing effective communication and networking between Police members, local Indigenous community members and other government and non-government agencies.
· Establish and maintain a positive partnership environment in which Indigenous communities are encouraged to communicate and interact with Police members to resolve issues and actively promote awareness of the role of Victoria Police within Indigenous communities.
· Assist in developing, implementing and providing appropriate training programs dealing with Indigenous issues.
· Represent Victoria Police as required at meetings, forums or events that relate to Indigenous issues.
· Participate in the development and implementation of appropriate strategies to improve service delivery to customers based on customer needs.
· Attend to welfare needs and provide support to Indigenous persons in custody; working alongside Aboriginal Community Justice Program (ACJP) members.
· Prepare briefing notes and reports
Skills and Experience
As the successful applicant, you will have:
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Victorian Indigenous societies, including their history and the current policing issues affecting the communities.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to share, deliver and promote awareness within Victoria Police of indigenous cultural issues.
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills within a program management environment addressing sensitive issues.
- Awareness of the activities of local Indigenous community groups and government agencies supporting Indigenous groups.
- Contemporary awareness of local issues and factors influencing policing within the Indigenous communities.
- Drive, initiative and ability to work autonomously and/or as part of a team.
- An understanding of the customer service requirements of the position and a demonstrated record of strong commitment and achievement in meeting customer needs.
- A proven record of ethical behaviour and a demonstrated commitment to the Victoria Police Code of Ethics and Conduct, Financial Code of Practice, and the Organisational Values.
Requirements and relevant Information:
· Special measures’ of section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply.
· Relevant tertiary qualifications would be desirable
· Working with Children Check. For this role you will be required to apply and pay for a Working with Children Check prior to receiving a job offer. A receipt of payment is required as evidence of this.
· The successful candidate may be required to undergo and successfully obtain and maintain a National Security Clearance to the level determined by the Department Head. To obtain this clearance applicants must be an Australian Citizen.
· The incumbent will be required to complete the OHS requirements of the organisation, which may include local level training relating to equipment usage and Hazardous Chemicals.
· Possess a current Victorian Driver Licence and hold or qualify for a White Class Driver Authority within three (3) months.
How to Apply:
Please click the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of this advertisement.
Applicants MUST address the full key selection criteria and should include a resume within their application.
Please view the full Position Description C0874 attached to this advertisement before applying. If you are experiencing accessibility issues, please open the Position Description through Acrobat Reader.
If you require additional information or would like to discuss the role further please contact Inspector Dan Davison at Swan Hill Police Station via phone - 5036 1651 or via email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Midnight, Thursday 30th March 2017.
Find out what it's like working as a Victorian Public Servant for Victoria Police by clicking here: http://www.policecareer.vic.gov.au