Forensic Nurse Examiner
We provide the justice system with evidence to underpin safe convictions and appropriate acquittals. Our doctors help investigate deaths reported to the Coroner, examine alleged offenders and assess, treat and support victims of crime.
The Donor Tissue Bank of Victoria supports patients and their families by providing safe tissues for transplantation and medical research.
We embrace diversity amongst our staff and welcome applications from people from all cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, as well as people with a disability. If you require a copy of this advertisement or any attached documentation in an accessible format, such as large print, please email email@example.com
If a career that can give you the opportunity to contribute to a safe and just Victoria appeals to you, we look forward to receiving your application.
|Department:||Department of Justice and Regulation|
|Job Function:||Medical and Nursing|
|Work Location:||Gippsland - East Gippsland|
|Salary Range:||See Advertisement|
|Attachments:||Position Description FM1950 Forensic Nurse Examiner.docx (Word, 66KB)|
|Contact:||Adele O’Hehir |
(03) 9684 4480
The Forensic Nurse Examiner provides an informed, impartial and competent forensic service to the Victoria Police, the Courts and Office of Public Prosecutions, including the examination of adult victims of physical and sexual assault, collection of biological and forensic samples, preparation of medico-legal reports and statements, and provision of advice to police and other stakeholders regarding clinical forensic matters.
Working autonomously within the community, the Forensic Nurse Examiner is responsible for participating in the provision of a 24-hour forensic medical service for Victoria Police including (but not necessarily limited to) the:
- examination of adult victims of physical and sexual assault
- collection of biological specimens
- preparation of medico-legal reports and statements
- provision of advice to police and others regarding clinical forensic matters
- preparation and presentation to the courts on evidence derived from examination.
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- proven post-graduate nursing experience with a sound knowledge base and experience in contemporary nursing practice
- demonstrated written and verbal communication with the ability to prepare and present objective, impartial statements, and provide evidence in Court
- demonstrated commitment to women's and men's health and ability to provide a quality medical service in an objective and accurate manner that is neither biased nor judgemental
- demonstrated ability to work as an effective and contributing team member and capacity to provide leadership in education and other relevant areas that will promote the field of forensic medicine and benefit the broader community
- understanding of privacy, confidentiality and security in the medico-legal context
- highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to articulate nursing concepts in lay terms for the purpose of medical reports
- high personal standards in relation to honesty, objectivity, patient focus, and continuous quality improvement
- current Victorian Driver licence
- current Registration as a Division 1 Registered Nurse by AHPRA
- current Police and Working with Children Checks (or ability to obtain)
- relevant experience in a specific area of nursing complimentary to the work of a forensic nurse examiner (desirable).
This position is casual and the Forensic Nurse Examiner is employed on an “as available” basis to conduct forensic examinations by Victoria Police as the need arises with no requirement to be on call at any specified time. If unavailable, the Forensic Nurse Examiner can arrange alternative times with police to suit availability.
The casual rate is approximately $100 per hour (including casual loading).
This position will be based in Bairnsdale.
Applications should include:
- your resume
- a covering letter outlining the key selection criteria contained in the position description.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Applications are due by midnight on Friday 7 April 2017.