- Multiple full time ongoing Lawyer and Senior Lawyer roles (part time considered)
- Salary based on experience, range: VLA3 $80,024 - $95,992; VLA 4 $95,993 - $119,989 (pro rata) plus super
- Attractive employee benefits including salary packaging
About the role:
In this role you will act as an advocate by providing high quality legal services, legal advice, duty lawyer services, casework, representation and undertake negotiation and dispute resolution on behalf of clients, primarily in child protection, criminal and intervention order matters.
Based at our Dandenong office, you will assist in the delivery of education and training programs to promote community awareness of legal rights affecting children and young people.
We have multiple full time ongoing roles available:
- 2x Senior Lawyer roles (VLA4)
- 4x Lawyer roles (VLA3)
In addition to the above responsibilities, our Senior Lawyers provide legal supervision, mentoring, training, and contribute to the professional development of less experienced lawyers and assist in policy initiatives, VLA projects and law reform work.
As our ideal candidate, you will possess:
- Demonstrated capacity to act as an advocate, deliver legal advice and casework, and to undertake negotiation and dispute resolution on behalf of clients.
- Knowledge of and/or practical experience in the application of the Children, Youth & Families Act 2005, and other relevant law and procedure in the jurisdiction.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and your demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively with others and fostering a supportive team environment
- A current Australian practising certificate which entitles you to practise in Victoria as a government legal practitioner.
- Ability to supervise legal work and to mentor and train staff and contribute to the development of individuals and their knowledge and skills in youth crime, child protection and intervention order matters (Senior Lawyer roles only)
Don't meet every requirement? At VLA, we understand that your work and life experiences can be just as valuable. If you're excited about this role but your CV doesn't align perfectly with our job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or one of our many other opportunities.
About Victoria Legal Aid:
We provide legal representation to those who need it most. With over 1000 staff employed in 15 offices across Victoria, we help people with their legal problems by providing information, advice and education with a focus on the prevention and early resolution of legal problems. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and foster a work culture that's inclusive as well as diverse. Your unique ideas and perspectives are valued so that we best represent the people we serve.
- Family friendly, flexible hybrid work from home & office model
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Supportive team environment in modern offices
- Salary packaging which allows up to $15,900 of your salary each year to be tax free
How to apply:
To be considered for this role, please submit a current resume and completed candidate application form (listed within the file attachments). Please specify the role/s you are applying for in the form.
If you require adjustment to the recruitment and selection process or need an alternative format to any of the application material, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team.
For further information review the attached position description or contact Julie Riva, Regional Manager on (03) 9784 5223.
No agency applications will be accepted.
Applications close by 11.59pm on Sunday 4 December 2022.
Other relevant information:
VLA employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It is also a requirement that staff attend for office-based days at their primary work location. In line with this requirement, interstate applications will be considered only where the candidate is able and willing to relocate to Victoria, unless part of a border community. VLA is committed to putting the safety and wellbeing of children first.