- Full time ongoing position
- Salary based on experience, range: $80,024 - $95,992 plus super
- Attractive employee benefits including salary packaging
About the role:
We are seeking a Lawyer to join our team in providing high quality legal aid services to clients across the Barwon region.
Based at our Geelong office, in this role you will appear as an advocate in various courts and tribunals serviced by Victoria Legal Aid's Geelong team, providing high quality legal services representation, casework and advice services. The varied and interesting work mix of a regional office will allow you to accelerate the development of your advocacy skills.
As our ideal candidate, you will possess:
- Demonstrated knowledge and practical experience in providing quality legal services, predominately in criminal law but also family violence related matters.
- Knowledge and practical experience in, or an interest in developing experience in providing quality legal services in child protection matters is desirable.
- Effective casework and advocacy skills, including highly developed skills in dispute resolution.
- An understanding of the role of external organisations, private practitioners, community, and welfare groups in the delivery of legal aid services.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and your demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively with others and fostering a supportive team environment.
Don't meet every requirement? At VLA, we understand that your work and life experiences can be just as valuable. If you're excited about this role but your CV doesn't align perfectly with our job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or one of our many other opportunities.
About Victoria Legal Aid:
We provide legal representation to those who need it most. With over 1000 staff employed in 15 offices across Victoria, we help people with their legal problems by providing information, advice and education with a focus on the prevention and early resolution of legal problems.
Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and foster a work culture that's inclusive as well as diverse. Your unique ideas and perspectives are valued so that we best represent the people we serve.
- Family friendly, flexible hybrid work from home & office model
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Supportive team environment in modern offices
- Salary packaging which allows up to $15,900 of your salary each year to be tax free
How to apply:
To be considered for this role, please submit a current resume and completed candidate application form (listed within the file attachments).
If you require adjustment to the recruitment and selection process or need an alternative format to any of the application material, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team.
For further information review the attached position description or contact Sarah Austin, Regional Manager & Lawyer on (03) 5226 5680.
No agency applications will be accepted.
Applications close by 11.59pm on Wednesday 7 December 2022.
Other relevant information:
VLA employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It is also a requirement that staff attend for office-based days at their primary work location. In line with this requirement, interstate applications will be considered only where the candidate is able and willing to relocate to Victoria, unless part of a border community.
VLA is committed to putting the safety and wellbeing of children first.