- Full time ongoing position
- Salary based on experience, range: $95,993 - $119,989 plus super
- Attractive employee benefits including salary packaging
About the role:
We are seeking a Senior Lawyer to join our Morwell team in providing high quality legal aid services to clients across the Gippsland region.
As the Senior Lawyer, you will coordinate and ensure the provision of duty lawyer and casework services to the Assessment and Referral Court (ARC) in Morwell and provide expert legal advice, conduct complex casework and appear as an advocate for clients in ARC and other courts, as appropriate. In this role you will provide legal supervision, mentoring, training and contribute to the professional development of less experienced lawyers.
- Significant knowledge and practical experience in criminal law, including the preparation and appearance in complex litigation and the use of therapeutic and problem-solving approaches in the criminal justice system.
- High-level interpersonal skills, including the ability to form productive professional relationships and communicate effectively with clients and stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to supervise, mentor and contribute to the development of other team members in relation to ARC matters
- A collaborative and team-centred approach, with a genuine interest in fostering a positive team environment to enable the best client service delivery possible.
Don't meet every requirement? At VLA, we understand that your work and life experiences can be just as valuable. If you're excited about this role but your CV doesn't align perfectly with our job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or one of our many other opportunities.
Interested, but don't live in Gippsland?
If you are the successful candidate for this role and need to relocate, we can assist you with reimbursement of some relocation expenses.
About Victoria Legal Aid:
We provide legal representation to those who need it most. With over 1000 staff employed in 15 offices across Victoria, we help people with their legal problems by providing information, advice and education with a focus on the prevention and early resolution of legal problems.
Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and foster a work culture that's inclusive as well as diverse. Your unique ideas and perspectives are valued so that we best represent the people we serve.
- Family friendly, flexible hybrid work from home & office model
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Supportive team environment in modern offices
- Salary packaging which allows up to $15,900 of your salary each year to be tax free
How to apply:
To be considered for this role, please submit a current resume and completed candidate application form (listed within the file attachments).
If you require adjustment to the recruitment and selection process or need an alternative format to any of the application material, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team.
For further information review the attached position description or contact Daniel Bakewell, Deputy Managing Lawyer on (03) 5126 6472.
No agency applications will be accepted.
Applications close by 11.59pm on Sunday 26th March 2023
Other relevant information:
VLA employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It is also a requirement that staff attend for office-based days at their primary work location. In line with this requirement, interstate applications will be considered only where the candidate is able and willing to relocate to Victoria, unless part of a border community.VLA is committed to putting the safety and wellbeing of children first.