- Part time (0.6 FTE), maximum term position up to 12 months
- Salary based on experience, range: $84,626 - $97,921 (pro rata) plus super
- Up to $15,900 in salary packaging and hybrid WFH & office model
About the role:
In this role, you will provide legal assistance to separated clients on child support, spousal maintenance, property, and children's issues. You will handle casework, represent clients in courts, provide duty lawyer services, and conduct community legal sessions. You will be collaborating with key partner agencies to promote and develop the Child Support Program. Additionally, you will stay updated with legal developments are essential. You may also participate in other areas of the Family, Youth & Children's Law Program.
This role is based at our Melbourne CBD office on Wurundjeri Country
About Child Support:
The Child Support subprogram of VLA's Family, Youth and Children's Law (FYCL) Program offers high-quality legal advice and representation in child support and adult child maintenance. The goal is to ensure that children of separated parents receive proper financial support according to the law. We assist with spousal maintenance for those who cannot support themselves and their former partner is able to pay. Additionally, we handle property settlements to ensure a fair distribution of assets and liabilities for separated parents. We also deal with associated children's issues, including care arrangements.
As our ideal candidate, you will possess:
- Capacity to work as a caseworker in Child Support Legal Service matters such as child support, adult child maintenance and spousal maintenance and associated children's issues, and act as advocate in family dispute resolution services, the Magistrates' Court of Victoria, Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia and in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
- Knowledge or capacity to quickly gain knowledge of family and child support law, administrative law principles and court procedures.
- Sound interpersonal skills and the capacity to communicate effectively with staff, clients and other persons and organisations impacting on the work of VLA.
Don't meet every requirement? At VLA, we understand that your work and life experiences can be just as valuable. If you're excited about this role but your CV doesn't align perfectly with our job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or one of our many other opportunities.
About Victoria Legal Aid:
We provide legal representation to those who need it most. With over 1000 staff employed in 15 offices across Victoria, we help people with their legal problems by providing information, advice and education with a focus on the prevention and early resolution of legal problems.
Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and foster a work culture that's inclusive as well as diverse. Your unique ideas and perspectives are valued so that we best represent the people we serve.
- Focus on work-life balance including flexible working arrangements
- Hybrid work from home & office model
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Excellent salary packaging options including General Expenses up to $15,900, Meals & Entertainment up to $2,650 and Novated Leasing
- Opportunity to join Myki Commuter Club (and salary package the cost)
- Supportive team environment in modern offices (including free gym and end-of-trip facilities at our CBD office)
How to apply:
To be considered for this role, please submit a current resume and completed candidate application form (listed within the file attachments).
If you require adjustment to the recruitment and selection process or need an alternative format to any of the application material, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team.
For further information review the attached position description or contact Michelle Murphy, Acting Deputy Managing Lawyer, Child Support Legal Service on (03) 92803798.
No agency applications will be accepted.
Applications close by 11.59pm on Sunday 25 February 2024.
Other relevant information:
It is a requirement that staff attend for office-based days at their primary work location. In line with this requirement, interstate applications will be considered only where the candidate is able and willing to relocate to Victoria, unless part of a border community.
VLA is committed to putting the safety and wellbeing of children first.