Our Rappel crew perform unique, specialist roles in remote locations.
Rappel crews abseil or rappel down ropes from a hovering helicopter to the ground, often through tree canopies, from a maximum height of 100 metres.
These positions would suit people who have a high level of fitness, are sound decision makers, community minded and looking for a unique challenge.
To be successful in gaining a position, you will be required to meet the following mandatory specific requirements:
- Hold a current manual drivers licence.
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid work visa for the employment period.
- Maintain a maximum body weight of 95kg in overalls and boots.
- Have at least one year's experience as a General Firefighter with either DELWP or Parks Victoria and have gained accreditation as a DELWP General Firefighter; or equivalent Wild Land Firefighter experience.
- Be comfortable working at heights and from helicopters.
- Be comfortable working and camping in extremely remote places.
- Be able to implicitly follow verbal and written instructions and hand signals.
- Meet the "Category A - Firefighter Rappel" medical and fitness requirements. This requires meeting the DELWP firefighter medical assessment requirements at least every two years (or as specified by the assessing doctor), and successful completion of the "Pack Hike Test" plus the Rappel "Circuit Test" prior to commencement each year. This requirement also includes notification of any changes in your medical condition prior or after your medical assessment.
- To meet its obligations under the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions and the OH&S Act, the department will request vaccination information or evidence of an exemption in the pre-employment stage. (Inability to provide this may impact your employment to the department)
- Preferred candidates will be required to undertake pre-employment screening, including a Declaration and Consent form and a National Police Check.
For further information about these positions and locations, please refer to the attachments below.
Applications for the 2022-2023 season have now closed.