Project Firefighter Positions
These positions form part of a team of Forest Fire Management Victoria field staff located at more than 80 work centres across Victoria (DELWP, Parks Victoria and Melbourne Water) that help keep Victorians safe by reducing the risk and impact of bushfire.
These positions would suit people who have a high level of fitness, are sound decision makers, community minded and looking for a unique challenge.
To be successful in gaining a position, you will be required to meet the following mandatory specific requirements:
- Hold a current manual drivers licence.
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid work visa for the employment period.
- Meet the "Category B - Firefighter Arduous" medical and fitness requirements. This requires meeting the DELWP firefighter medical assessment requirements at least every two years (or as specified by the assessing doctor), and successful completion of the "Pack Hike Test" prior to commencement each year. This requirement also includes notification of any changes in your medical condition prior or after your medical assessment.
- To meet its obligations under the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions and the OH&S Act, the department will request vaccination information or evidence of an exemption in the pre-employment stage. (Inability to provide this may impact your employment to the department)
- New recruits will be required to attend a minimum 2-week training camp.
- Successfully complete the DELWP General Firefighter accreditation.
- Preferred candidates will be required to undertake pre-employment screening, including a Declaration and Consent form and a National Police Check.
For further information about these positions and locations, please refer to the attachments below.
- DELWP Project Firefighter Position Description
- Parks Victoria Project Firefighter Position Description
- Melbourne Water Project Firefighter Position Description
- Project Firefighter Work Centre Location Map
- Application Process
A number of positions have been approved for Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People. These are designated positions under the "special measures" section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. Only Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply for these positions. Successful applicants will be required to provide a completed Aboriginality form prior to appointment. For further information about our designated positions refer to the Project Firefighter Aboriginal designated positions brochure.
Successful candidates will be employed by the agency in control of that workcentre, under the relevant agency enterprise agreement.
Applications for the 2022-2023 season have now closed.